Thinking Across Our Differences
Brief summary of presentation of information made
Panel presentations with questions
Although entitled ‘Thinking across our differences’ it was more about active listening
- All in context of listening to women who have been abused
- Involved mainly subcultures within the USA
- Needed for active listening-, curiosity, intentionality to learn and cultural eyes
- Non judgemental attitude
- Emphasised in listening to stories- recognize their pain, be human in the relationship, spiritual growth and good deeds
- Good deeds seen a s a result of relationship building (?indicator)
- Can involve sharing with others who we are
- Can involve not telling own story to avoid influencing them in particular way
- Can help to understand their power, your power, power structures, ways of change
- Must always be their agenda and decision
What was of particular significance to share with The Salvation Army globally?
Active listening is a skill that is needed for all pastoral care. If we wish to minister to people we must listen first to understand them.