In Calling - Discussion
Firstly watch the video and read the booklet and relevant Bible verses. Then stop and think before considering these questions. Click on the appropriate links to read other people's thoughts and to submit your own comments.
Called into being
Discuss reasons for believing the Army was called into being by God.
See Zechariah 4:6; 1 Corinthians 1:26; 1 Peter 2:10
What is the Army called to today?
Luke 4:18, 19; John 14:6
How should the Salvation Army relate to other churches?
Philippians 2:1-4; 1 Corinthians 12:12-20
What is the reason for the Army’s spread to more than 125 countries?
1 John 3:24; John 15:5
The call to sinners
Why does the Army believe that God’s love is for everybody?
John 3:16; John 13:34
How did Jesus describe his mission?
Luke 19:10; John 3:17
Define ‘salvation’. Why is it in our name – The Salvation Army?
Luke 19:9; Ephesians 6:17; Titus 2:11
Why do we need God’s salvation?
The call to follow
When Jesus calls ‘Follow me!’, what are the implications for you personally?
Mark 1:16-20; John 21:15-22
In what ways is following Jesus a true adventure?
Matthew 19:16-30; Mark 8:34, 35
What is unique about relationship with Jesus?
John 10:3; 1 Thessalonians 5:24
How important to Jesus are you and the part you play in his mission?
Matthew 6:26; Luke 10:1, 2
Called to be
Discuss what it is like to be called out of darkness into light.
John 3:19-21; Isaiah 9:2
In what ways can Christians be lights in the world?
Matthew 5:16; 1 Peter 2:12
What kind of people are we called to be?
Ephesians 4:1; 1 Corinthians 1:2
Discuss ways in which The Salvation Army’s internationalism is in harmony with God’s will.
Philippians 2:9-11; Ephesians 4:11-13
Called to do
How important is it that Christians are active for God and ‘do something’?
Isaiah 1:15-17; 1 John 3:18; James 1:27
Why is the attitude in which we serve God more important than simply doing something?
Philippians 2:5; Matthew 6:1-8
Why does Jesus tell us to love our enemies? How well do we do this?
Matthew 5:43-48; Luke 23:34
List and discuss ways in which we should not discriminate against people.
Matthew 7:1, 2; James 2:1-9.
Culture in Context
- How many different spiritual beliefs can you identify in your country? Do people choose just one or might they choose parts of several?
- In what ways is the Christian Church in your country affected by other beliefs?
- What challenges does The Salvation Army face?
- Would it be wrong for a Salvationist to participate in ceremonies belonging to a different religion? Discuss your answers.
- ‘It is possible to be part of The Salvation Army culture without actually making any personal commitment.’ Do you agree with this statement? If so, how can such a situation be addressed?