The Salvation Army defines itself with an international mission statement:
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in his name without discrimination.
The One Army international teaching resource begins with One Life - we are all given one life and no two lives are the same.
As the series unfolds it will examine an Army united:
- In Calling
- In Covenant
- In Christ
- In Truth
- In Purpose
- In Prayer
- In Fellowship
- In Service
- In Faith
- In Holiness
- In Hope
- In Love
These integral aspects of the Army will be presented for information, inspiration, discussion and response. They will show what the Army is, what it teaches and what it does. The series will be presented using various forms of communication and include participation and interaction. Especially, it will be presented in the context of how each life can find its own place in the will and purposes of God. This being so, One Army can:
- Give everyone an opportunity to find the joy of using their one life for their creator God.
- Show how a life given back to God can be transformed and enriched, and of a quality only he can give.
- Reveal how The Salvation Army emphasises personal relationship with God as being at the heart and meaning of life.
- Teach why the Army takes a clear, uncomplicated, practical approach to its expression of Christian faith.
- Emphasise how non-discriminatory and all-embracing service is an expression of a mutually supportive, loving, global family.
- Highlight that the Army finds its motivation in putting the two greatest commands into practice: ‘“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind”; and, “Love your neighbour as yourself”’ (Luke 10:27).
- Show how these commands are expressed in The Salvation Army’s long-declared aim to serve ‘With heart to God and hand to mankind’.
- Give opportunity for genuine unity of purpose through making use of the General’s Worldwide Prayer Meeting (see page ??)
- It can help us all use our one life to unite ‘one Army’ in loving and serving the world’s one and only Saviour (John 1:14).
Before you begin
Pray that One Army will broaden your vision and deepen your understanding of what God can do in and through you.
And may God bless you!
Each of the 12 units in One Army will contain:
- Clear, concise teaching based on the chosen topics
- A look at how the Army expresses itself in different cultures
- A youth component
Throughout the series there will be opportunity for:
- Group discussion
- Linking Bible passages and texts to the topic being studied
- Shared and individual prayer
- Further recommended resources for those who wish to study further
The teaching will be presented through:
- The One Army book
- A Leader’s Manual, which contains further ideas for sharing
- An all-encompassing web-based programme
- Movie clips and teaching
- One Army video clips