On 4 March 1883 Major and Mrs Francis Simmonds with Lieutenant Alice Teager ‘opened fire’ in Cape Town. Other officers were sent to the island of St Helena in 1886 to consolidate work commenced (in 1884) by Salvationist ‘Bluejackets’. Social services began in 1886.
The Army’s first organised ministry among the African people was established in 1888 in Natal and, in 1891, in Zululand. Evangelistic effort in Mozambique, pioneered in 1916 by African converts, was officially recognised in 1923.
Work in Swaziland (now Eswatini) was commenced in 1960.
Having previously been in Namibia from 1932 to 1939, the Army re-established a presence in the country in January 2008 and was given official recognition on 11 March 2008.
Countries included in the territory: Eswatini, Lesotho, Namibia, Island of St Helena, South Africa
Languages in which the gospel is preached: Afrikaans, English, IsiXhosa, IsiZulu, SeSotho, Shangaan, SiPedi, Tshivenda, Tsonga, Tswana
Periodicals: Home League Resource Manual, The Reporter, The War Cry
Commissioner Torben Eliasen - Territorial Commander
Commissioner Denise Eliasen - Territorial President for Women's Ministries
Lieut-Colonel Jabulani Khoza - General Secretary
Lieut-Colonel Fikile Khoza - Territorial Secretary for Women's Ministries
119-121 Rissik Street
PO Box 1018
Tel  (110) 718 6700
Officers - 247 (active - 158 retired - 89) Auxillary Captains - 2
Envoys - 2 Cadets - 12 Employees - 505
Corps - 93 Outposts - 123
Senior Soldiers - 18,934 Adherents - 1,439 Junior Soldiers - 3,814