The International College for Officers and Centre for Spiritual Life Development
The idea for the formation of The International College for Officers has been around for more than 100 years. This idea worked itself out in several different forms and the programme was disrupted twice due to war and economic turmoil in the world. The programme was instituted at its current location on Sydenham Hill in 1950. The name was changed to International College for Officers in 1954. In 2008, it was announced that the International College for Officers would be renamed - International College for Officers and Centre for Spiritual Life Development. Its role has been broadened to include aspects of spiritual life development that go beyond officers' attendance at the eight-week ICO sessions.
The Cedars - 34 Sydenham Hill
Sydenham was an area where many famous people lived in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Bellevue (on the present site of Number 34) was built in the 1820s by William Little, a cloth worker. It was replaced by The Cedars, the present no 34 in 1898, built by Charles Ash Body whose initials can be seen at the front of the house.
The Cedars was purchased by the Army in 1944 when emergency accommodation was needed for children bombed out of The Haven situated nearby. This plan did not eventuate and the house became the war-time offices of The Salvation Army Fire Insurance Corporation Ltd, before being opened in 1950 as the International Staff College.