Brief summary of presentation of information made
Panel Presentation by girls who are members of GLI, women who have been members of GLI and teachers who are involved with GLI in schools.
Girls Learning Initiative was started to create a learning society for girls to support and resource girls learning with book provision and provide a support mechanism for girls at school. It operates worldwide and GLI chapters network and partner with each other and other learning organization.
- Kuljeet – Found no sex or relationship education at school. No understanding of consent among girls or boys. Started GLI and now boys also members
- Isabel –Great advantage- digital library for all that can be accessed by phone using an app. Books available in own languages. Partnered with GLI from Pakistan, was shocked to learn of scale of child marriage and human trafficking. Possibility of 171 million could be lifted out of poverty if acquired reading and writing skills.
- Curtynn- recognized at 5 years old was treated differently as had a disability. Promotes children’s rights for equal access to education and health. Promotes solidarity of pressure groups for accessing rights
- Catherine (from Nigeria)Helps girls develop skills and knowledge (for example crafts or vegetable growing) for self support for school fees. Less vulnerable if educated and self supporting.
- Nicole- Amaze Initiative. International advocates for youth. Producing sexual health resources for age 8-14. Resources on puberty, gender identity, personal safety and development of sexuality. Videos on uTube.
- Lauren – GLI curriculum encourages confidence in women to fight for rights and push for their aspirations
- Emily – Advocates for Youth , Youth International Council. Impact of one Nations laws have impacts on other countries
- Sarah – Pupils requested training/discussion on social & moral issues. Started GLI chapter. Encourages teacher- pupil and peer-peer dialogue.
- Final Remarks – GLI handbook on line. Fight for equality not priveledges. Most effective advocacy at local level
What was of particular significance to share with The Salvation Army globally?
Encouragement and support of children, especially girls can have far reaching consequences