Download Stand Up For Justice – Vangie's Story on Vimeo.
The documents can be shared with others via social media or downloaded as PDF files by clicking on the appropriate image and then using the download button at the top of each page.
The United Nations defines human trafficking as:
'a serious crime and a grave violation of human rights. Every year, thousands of men, women and children fall into the hands of traffickers, in their own countries and abroad. Almost every country in the world is affected by trafficking, whether as a country of origin, transit or destination for victims. UNODC, as guardian of the United Nations Convention against Transnational Organized Crime (UNTOC) and the Protocols thereto, assists States in their efforts to implement the Protocol to Prevent, Suppress and Punish Trafficking in Persons (Trafficking in Persons Protocol).' (source)
Though the terminology may be new, human trafficking is not. Examples of human trafficking exist throughout the Bible:
- Joseph's brothers trafficked him to the Ishmaelites
- The Canaanite army trafficked girls for rape and sexual slavery
- In 2 Kings, creditors threatened to traffic children into debt and bondage
- In each of these situations, God provided rescue and blessing to the victims
- Amos 2:6-7 is our biblical imperative to pursue social justice
The Salvation Army's international positional statement.
** Because of the challenging subject, these items do contain words/images that may offend