One year after the formal inauguration of The Salvation Army in the Philippines, the first session of Cadets known as the "Enthusiasts" began training in 1065-7 C. Ayala Street, Singalong, Manila. That gave birth to the preparations for the young Army to position itself into its mission holistically. The need for Cadets to become officers was really great.


The next year, 1939, a second session of Cadets entered the Training Institute. The third session of Cadets was trained in different place because the atmosphere of Philippine life was disturbed by the invasion of the Japanese Imperialism in the Pacific and East Asia. That was in 1940, when the Commanding Officer of the Philippine Command temporarily transferred the Training Institute from Manila to Baguio City. A building was rented at Abanao Street where the First Peso Bank was now presently located. There where seven Cadets that time. After World War II, The Salvation Army was re-opened in Manila. Its works and purposes were very much appreciated though there were some difficulties in spreading the good news of the Salvation Army mission.


In 1963-1964, the Training Principal was Major Benito Daguio, followed by Major Rodolfo Rodriguerra in the year 1965-1968. In 1969, the construction of the new Training Institute at Pasig was considered. This was the first training property owned by The Salvation Army. Funds were raised locally and abroad. Twenty-eight Thousands US$ came from the U.S.A. Western Territory, where the Philippine Command was formerly in the beginning a division of the said territory. Ten thousands (10,000) guilders for furnishing from Corps Cadets of Netherlands were also received. In 1970, Major Greta Lofgren was appointed as the new Training Principal. Her appointment extended up to 1972.




The changing of name from Training Institute to School for Officer's Training took effect in 1973. Captain Colin Fairclough was then the Training Principal. He remained in the position for one year. In 1975, an Officer in -charge was appointed temporarily. In 1976-1978, Captain Robert Saunders succeeded as the Training Principal. Captain Ian Southwell took over the post in 1979-1981. From 1982-1986, Captain John Hodge became the Training Principal. In his first term that was in 1982, an extension of the S.F.O.T. was erected. The facilities serve almost double number of Cadets.


Ten Cadets of the Servants of God Session entered new facilities. In 1987-1988, Major Wesley Curameng was appointed as the new Training Principal. Since then, a successive trusts and confidence of Christian Salvationism was entrusted to Filipino Christian educators. Major Trinidad Cendana became the Training Principal from 1989-1990 after which the following year the position was filled in by an Officer in-charge. In 1991, Captain Elnora Urbien, concurrently the Training Principal was appointed in that same position. It was in June, 1992 that S.F.O.T. took up the new name and was upgraded as The Salvation Army Training College.


Indeed, the Army in the Philippines had grown into one of the dynamic Protestant denomination in the country. The Training College in particular had done its part in educating, developing and equipping men and women called by God.


This place is now a history and we are moving into a new site which will provide better accommodation to more youths to be trained. As our movement is growing we need more people to commit their lives to the ministry. ARE YOU CALLED?


In June 1993, The Salvation Army Training College was renamed Officer Training College (OTC). This doubly significance as a much larger place ushered the new milestone in The Salvation Army Educational Services for future cadets in June 1996. Because of the internationalism of The Salvation Army, an officer from New Zealand, Major Margaret Elizabeth Ousey took the reign of training the future officers.


The new OTC is situated on a hilly top of Tanay, Rizal, overlooking a breathtaking view of Laguna de Bay. It comprises of several sets of buildings with the latest erection of the 3 duplexes Family Housing Units. The family housing edifice can accommodate six couple candidates together with their children. It has 3 bedrooms, a spacious receiving room, dining area, kitchen and verandas. This was a dream come true. We are indeed grateful to the USA Western Territory for their generosity in sharing their financial resources for the family housing edifice.