International Day of the Girl October 11th
by Victoria Edmonds
International Day of the Girl 2nd Annual Speal Out
Two years ago the United Nations declared October 11th as the international Day of the Girl to raise awareness about all issues concerning gender inequality around the world.
It’s a day when groups come together under the same goal to highlight, discuss and take action to advance rights and opportunities for girls everywhere.
Any group in your Corps or facility can take part. Girls are considered to be18 years of age and under for UN purposes.
We are asking you to help celebrate the International Day of the Girl. You can contribute to the 2nd Annual Speak Out at the United Nations by:
- Doing a Video on the topic “This is what it means to be a girl” or “What is means to be a girl where you live”
- It can be a skit
- Music production ( 3 minutes)
- Singing Group ( 3 minutes)
- Timbrel Group ( 3 minutes)
- Band Group (3 minutes)
- Write a short story 500 words maximum
- Send us pictures of girls in your Corps or facility and we will put them together for a presentation of Girls associated with The Salvation Army. It would be an opportunity for the global community to see what girls in the Salvation Army are doing.
Please post your video on YouTube and send to Major Victoria Edmonds the name of your video or the address of your YouTube video. Please send to this address:
Be sure to include name of group, country you live in, your Territory, Corps name if it is a Corps group, or facility name. Please have in by: September 12, 2014 the latest. The sooner you can send it in the better.
Thank you for contributing to the International Day of the Girl.
We need you to Speak Out and take action
Tags: United Nations, Social Justice