Two Christian Mission converts, John Gore and Edward Saunders, pioneered Salvation Army operations on 5 September 1880 in Adelaide. These were officially established on 11 February 1881 by the appointment of Captain and Mrs Thomas Sutherland. In 1921 the work in Australia was organised into the Eastern and Southern Territories with headquarters in Sydney and Melbourne.
A National Secretariat serving the whole of Australia and funded jointly by both territories was established in 1987.
The National Secretariat represents the views of both Australian territories to the Australian Government as required or requested by both territorial commanders. The Secretariat addresses issues of spiritual, moral, ethical and social welfare by means of written submissions, personal dialogue with members of parliament and attendance at open forums.
In addition, it is responsible for the negotiation of funding and monitoring of overseas aid projects. These projects are funded jointly, on a 3:1 basis, by a government organisation, the Australian Agency for International Development (AusAID) and The Salvation Army, Australia, through the Development Office (SAADO).
National Periodicals: Kidzone, Warcry
Australia Southern Territorial Headquarters
- 95-99 Railway Road
Postal address: PO Box 479, Blackburn 3130, Victoria, Australia
tel: (03) 8878 4500
fax: (03) 8878 4815