www.salvationarmy.org.sg

In May 1935 Salvation Army work began in Singapore. It spread to Penang (1938), Melaka and Ipoh (1940), Kuching (Sarawak) (1950), Kuala Lumpur (1966) and Kota Kinabalu (Sabah) (1996).

‘The General of The Salvation Army’ is a ‘corporation sole’ by The Salvation Army Ordinance 1939 in the Straits Settlements; by The Salvation Army (Incorporation) Ordinance 1956 in the Federation of Malaya; and by the Missionary Societies Order 1957 in the Colony of Sarawak.

Adjutant Taran Das (Reuben Moss), who was attached to the Lahore headquarters in India, was appointed to open the work in Burma (now Myanmar) by Commissioner Booth Tucker in January 1915. Myanmar Salvationists have, since 1966, developed their witness and service despite the restriction on reinforcements from overseas. In 1994 Myanmar was joined to the Singapore and Malaysia Command. On 1 March 2005 the command was redesignated the Singapore, Malaysia and Myanmar Territory.




Territorial Headquarters: 20 Bishan St 22, Singapore 579768

Postal address:
    Ang Mo Kio Central
    PO Box 640
    Singapore 915605

tel: [65] 6555 0188
fax: [65] 6552 8542

Countries included in the territory: Malaysia, Myanmar, Singapore

Languages in which the gospel is preached: Burmese, Chin (Mizo, Zahau, Dai), Chinese (Amoy, Cantonese, Hokkien, Mandarin), English, Malay, Tamil, Telegu

Periodical: The War Cry